Monday, January 10, 2011

I'm Getting There

Last year I had some major running endurance.  I ran (continuously) my furthest distance ever of 10 miles during a 1/2 marathon last June.  After then half marathon, I quit running for a good 6 months. 

A few weeks ago, I decided I needed to get back to it.  I started back with the couch to 5K plan.  The couch to 5k is a running schedule which can get a couch potato to running a 5K in 9 weeks.  Basically it starts out with walk run combos and slowly increases the run times while decreasing the walk times.

I have used/started this plan multiple times in the past.  Since I was eager to get my legs back, I decided to double up the weeks.  There are only 3 runs per week, so I thought I could do 6 runs per week and just get the endurance back in half the time. 

I ended up missing several runs because I was sick a lot over the holidays.  I skipped over some of the workouts, but have been increasing my running time sucessfully.  Technically I should be in week 7, but I this morning I completed an extended version of the second workout in the week 6 session.

Morning workout:

3 mins @ 3.0 mph
10 mins @ 5.0 mph
3 mins @ 3.0 mph
10 mins @ 5.0 mph
3 mins @ 3.0 mph
10 mins @ 5.0 mph
3 mins @ 3.0 mph

Total 3.08 miles in 42 mins. 

Not my best time, but my best time in the last 6 months :)

No comments:

Post a Comment